Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Computer Use Now and in the Future

When I think back when I was teaching fourth grade, 2 years ago, the extent of my computer skills was excel spreadsheets, word documents, and sending/receiving emails. I began to use the projector to show short films on my laptop, but with help from my teaching partner. The technology facilitator would help me on PowerPoint projects, Hyperstudio projects, Windows Movie Maker, and using ikeepbookmarks.com for keeping a collection of bookmarks for the units I was teaching at the time.

Now, just two years of working at the Middle School and in the science classroom, I can't believe how visually literate I have become. Thanks to the push and guidance from Jennie and Paul. Through the course of 23 things, the virtual environment opened up to me as a whole new world. I became confident in tinkering with things on the computer, as our 21st century learners do. I am amazed at the amount of tools that are out there and the support available for teachers and people in general. The social networking tools that allow for collaboration are amazing.

In the future, I would like to be using flipcams and podcasts more often in the science classroom for documenting laboratory investigations and discussions instead of always presentations. I see the computer and Panaboard as being very prominent in my classroom as well as the students ability to stretch their inquiry even further with the new high speed internet which will be available in the classroom. I would like to incorporate tech based research and programs during hands-on project-based learning.

I'm so psyched about the freedom I feel when I have technology at my fingertips!

2 comments:

  1. You've come a long way in such a short time, Janice!! Fortunately, things will never slow down. What will change however is we will have more teachers like you who are prepared to tinker with new ways to engage our learners and learning.

    The 1:1 program and infrastructure upgrades are going to open up a lot of doors we couldn't consider before. For example, the 4mb/s speed is going to allow us to create learning experiences such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHAHpvFmgQk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a prezi full of great ideas http://prezi.com/eibi-emqxhfk/breaking-boundaries-with-virtual-worlds-in-a-science-classroom-and-a-teen-jail-two-case-studies/

    ReplyDelete